Call us Australia +61 41133 4499 | +61 2 92999333 | Singapore +65 8338 9933


Summer is definitely in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the New South Wales sun than a trip to the beach, or a dip in your pool? However, if you own and or rent out your property investment in NSW, you have to make sure that your swimming pool complies to the latest minimum safety requirements that have come into effect last year. If you are unsure what to do, we’ve made a handy guide to show you the way.


The Requirements

Your first step in ensuring that your pool is compliant, is registering it with the NSW Government Swimming Pool Register. Once registered, there are some guidelines you have to adhere to, namely the following:

  • Ensuring that your pool fence is at least 1200mm high, and if there is a gap between the fence and the ground, it may not be more than 100mm wide.
  • The pool must have a self-closing gate, and be able to latch closed from any position. It should also never be propped open, at any time, and should open outward and away from the pool
  • If you are leasing the property, your Residential Tenancy Agreement has to include a copy of the Certificate of Compliance, indicating that the swimming pool adheres to the necessary legal guidelines.


The Implications

Since these requirements have come into effect, it has become mandatory for all property owners that intend to lease or sell their property that has a swimming pool on the premises, to provide a copy of the Certificate of Compliance to the potential tenant or buyer.

The Certificate helps to show that the owner of the pool has taken all the requirements as set out by the law, which in turn offers the owner some form of legal protection in certain events, but keep in mind that as owner, you are obligated by law to ensure the pool’s safety on a continuous basis.

If you don’t have a Certificate of Compliance

If you haven’t had your pool certified yet, and are leasing your property, you are allowed to request an inspection from an accredited certifier or from your local council at any time, for the purpose of obtaining a certificate.

If you need any more information about these laws, or need help with obtaining your certificate, please don’t hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience.